engine tuning

General Discussion Forum for TRX Enthusiasts...

Moderators: trixynut, Mincehead, dicky, phuk72, Jak, Kevtrx849

hendocdog
TRX-Enthusiast

engine tuning

Post by hendocdog » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:51 pm

Hello ALL
new to the forum but I have just bought a 1996 Trx850 to convert to a cafe racer? My plan is to change the running gear and lightly mod the engine as well as the cosmetic restyle. If anyone has any hints or tips I would welcome them? Especially any engine help????
Regards Hendocdog

sanddune51
Site Sponsor

Re: engine tuning

Post by sanddune51 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:48 pm

Ah....where to begin :D

1. Keihin FCR 41's
2. Free flowing exhaust and cans. Akrapovic pipes are available from time to time
3. Lots of compression. High comp pistons are available but aren't strictly necessary. The head can be skimmed cheaply and effectively, then cheaper Yamaha pistons can be used.
4. Camshafts providing a bit more lift and some more duration. Kent Cams do a good job at reprofiling our cams and produce a very satisfactory result.
5. Ported (or gas flowed) cylinder head
6. Bigger valves. These will compliment all of the above.
7. "Ignitech" programmable igniter box. These have become available in the last few years, and I would say have become an almost essential fitment. You can program them if you understand engine advance requirements and are "au fait" with a lap top. If not you can run them just as they are supplied. The installed "default" setting makes a big difference to easy starting and general "rideability"

1,2 and 7 first as these are easy hits. 3,4,5 and 6 next. The last 4 are best carried out at the same time.
I carried out 1,3,4,5,and 6 and obtained very honest 90bhp at the rear wheel with 65lb/ft of torque.
I have now added 2 and 7 and really need to get back on the dyno to see where I'm at :D .

I have posted a lot of the work I've carried out on the forum. A simple search of my username should find all my posts.
Best of luck :)

Mark.